- Reported revenues €1,666m (-4.5%); reported operating income €231m (includes €200m termination fee received from UPS) (1Q12: €54m)
- Adjusted revenues (at constant FX) €1,676m (-3.9%); adjusted operating income (at constant FX and excluding one-offs) €38m (1Q12: €54m)
- Net cash from operating activities €167m, net cash used in investing activities €28m and net cash €280m (1Q12: €36m net debt)
- Cost savings programmes announced last year continued to support profitability in all reporting segments
- Deliver! profit improvement programme implementation started; first milestones realised
- Brazil Domestic accounted as discontinued operation; China Domestic as asset held for sale [*]
- New organisational structure will become basis for reporting starting 2Q13
[*] For information on Brazil Domestic and China Domestic, refer to note 4 of the interim financial statements
Overall, performance continued trends of previous quarters. Year-on-year performance comparison distorted by negative working day impact.
Europe & MEA consignment volumes grew but yields declined in still-challenging trading conditions. Cost control lessened negative impact on profitability, which was in line with expectations.
Asia Pacific revenue declined due to targeted reductions in large customer volumes and continuing weak demand. Operating income flat, supported by improvements in business portfolio and cost reduction measures.
Brazil improving results from further turnaround measures, including yield actions and cost savings.
Commenting on this quarter’s developments, Bernard Bot, interim CEO said:
‘The implementation of our profit improvement plan Deliver! is now underway. The initiatives to improve our margins, lower our cost base and reduce our exposure to loss-making activities have all been launched. We have also taken important steps in reorganising the company.
We reiterate our view that trading conditions in 2013 will continue to be challenging, especially in Europe. This underscores the need to optimise our market position and improve our productivity. We expect to start seeing a positive impact from Deliver! in the second half of the year.
The management team and I look forward to Tex Gunning starting as CEO on 1 June 2013.’
- Challenging trading conditions foreseen in 2013 with related continued negative development of operating results in Europe & MEA
- Asia Pacific and Other Americas expected to perform in line with prior year
- Other Networks profitability affected by discontinuation of major Fashion contract and worsening trading conditions in Innight
- Brazil expected to reduce losses
TNT Express’ Deliver! programme runs through 2015 and is built around four priorities: reshape the portfolio, focus on TNT Express’ distinctive service, execute better and invest in infrastructure and IT. Implementation of Deliver! has started. Highlights in the quarter include:
- Sale of China Domestic announced 28 March, sale process Brazil Domestic underway
- Several initiatives to support growth in TNT Express’ target segments launched
- Functional/Business unit reorganisation passed first milestones; projects to optimise operating model and realise €220m improvements all underway
- Investment plans for infrastructure optimisation under review
29 July 2013
28 October 2013
|Publication 2Q13 results|
Publication 3Q13 results
WARNING ABOUT FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS
Some statements in this press release are “forward-looking statements”. By their nature, forward-looking statements involve risk and uncertainty because they relate to events and depend on circumstances that will occur in the future. These forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that are outside of our control and impossible to predict and may cause actual results to differ materially from any future results expressed or implied. These forward-looking statements are based on current expectations, estimates, forecasts, analyses and projections about the industries in which we operate and management’s beliefs and assumptions about future events. You are cautioned not to put undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which only speak as of the date of this press release and are neither predictions nor guarantees of future events or circumstances. We do not undertake any obligation to release publicly any revisions to these forward-looking statements to reflect events or circumstances after the date of this press release or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events, except as may be required under applicable securities laws.