Company Installs Advanced NaviGo(TM) System in All Trucks
JOPLIN, Mo. – March 06, 2012
Con-way Truckload, a full-truckload carrier and subsidiary of Con-way Inc. (NYSE:CNW), today announced the installment of Maptuit® NaviGo™ technology in all company trucks and Qualcomm-equipped owner-operator tractors. The in-cab navigation upgrade follows a successful pilot study launched in September 2011.
Fleetwide integration will occur through a developmental period during which NaviGo systems will be individually tested in all trucks at the carrier’s Joplin, Mo., facility. The fleetwide installment and integration process will take an estimated six to eight months to complete.
“This is a significant upgrade of our navigation and communication capabilities that will raise the overall quality and efficiency of our operations,” says Saul Gonzalez, chief operating officer, Con-way Truckload. “By installing NaviGo in our trucks, we hope to improve safety performance, making life a little easier for our drivers and, in return, for our customers.”
The NaviGo system features several safety, accuracy, efficiency and cost benefits:
Increased driver safety
- Advanced GPS fleet tracking helps drivers avoid hazardous situations and truck-restricted routes, including residential areas, dead-end streets, low bridges, historically dangerous intersections and U-turns
- Clear 2D, 3D, and Driver Safety map guidance views
- Load-specific routing with 30 Hazmat road classes and categories
- Encourages hands-free directions and driver-centric features
Improved driver experience
- Includes an intuitive, large, touch-screen interface with dynamic, near real-time moving maps and easy to view buttons
- Displays route restrictions clearly with recognizable warning symbols
- Provides millions of points of interests (POIs) including truck services, truck stops, rest areas, weigh stations and CAT scales
- Spoken turn-by-turn truck-specific directions and automatic re-route calculation for missed turns
Increased driver efficiency
- Near real-time monitoring, alerting and re-routing capabilities avoid costly detours and areas of traffic congestion
- Route compliance and performance trend reporting features enable dispatchers to assess how well drivers are following route plans, improving on-time delivery and customer satisfaction
- Detailed route plans, based on vehicle size and load type, reduce tolls, fuel costs and ensure on-time deliveries
- Reduced out-of-route miles increase fuel savings and contribute to Con-way’s sustainability efforts
- NaviGo is compatible with existing Qualcomm dispatcher systems
Drivers interested in joining the Con-way Truckload team should visit www.true2blue.com, www.facebook.com/CareersatConway/ or call 866-WORK-4-US (866-967-5487).
Follow the company on Twitter: http://twitter.com/ConwayInc
Con-way equipment images are available at www.con-way.com/en/about_con_way/newsroom
About Con-way Truckload
Joplin, Mo.-based Con-way Truckload is an operating company of Con-way Inc. (NYSE:CNW) and a leading provider of expedited, time-definite full-truckload transportation services across North America. Formerly Contract Freighters, Inc. (CFI), Con-way Truckload today employs over 3,000 drivers with a fleet of more than 2,700 tractors and 8,600 trailers operating throughout the United States as well as internationally in Mexico and Canada. The company provides full-truckload transportation serving the transcontinental shipping needs of commercial and industrial businesses as well as sister company Con-way Freight. For more about Con-way Truckload, visit us on the Web at www.con-way.com/truckload or call (800) 641-4747.
Con-way Inc. (NYSE:CNW) is a $5.3 billion diversified freight transportation and global logistics company.
417-623-5229, ext. 5359
Kemp Goldberg Partners
207-773-0700, ex. 235