20th February 2013, UK – The Stifel Logistics Confidence Index increased for the fourth consecutive month in February 2013, according to the latest survey undertaken by Transport Intelligence. The index combining both the current and expected situation rose 3.3 points to 52.1 from 48.8 in January.
Both sea and air forwarders indicated an improvement in the present environment compared with January. The index for air freight increased 3.4 points to 43.1 in February, while the increase in sea freight was slightly less marked, up 1.7 points to 48.3.
The approach of the Chinese New Year was apparent, as the Asia to Europe lane for both air and sea saw a greater improvement than other routes. Most notably, for sea freight, the index on the Asia to Europe trade lane registered above the 50 mark, the first route to do so since the index began in March 2012.
Forwarders also expressed greater confidence regarding the six-month outlook, with volumes expected to pick up relative to the time of year. Lucy Palmer, Economist at Ti commented, “An increase in volumes in the lead-up to the Chinese New Year is likely to have played some part in the rise in the index for February; however the fact that expectations also recorded such a strong improvement is promising.”
This month’s additional question confirms optimism for an improved outlook this year. Survey participants were asked if they expect to see an economic recovery in 2013. The majority, some 60%, believe that the economy will improve, while the remaining 40% do not expect to see recovery this year.
About the Stifel Logistics Confidence Index
The Stifel Logistics Confidence Index is generated from an extensive survey of global logistics professionals, asked to provide their views on current levels of volumes in the industry and their expectations for six months’ time. An index value of 50 indicates no change in the volumes currently being experienced for the time of year; above 50 indicates higher volumes, while below 50 indicates lower volumes.
Stifel is the main subsidiary of Stifel Financial Corp. (NYSE: SF) and provides securities brokerage, investment banking, trading, investment advisory, and related financial services to individual investors, professional money managers, businesses, and municipalities. Stifel’s Transportation & Logistics Group is one of the leading teams on Wall Street in assisting both investors and companies at better understanding the ever-changing global logistics landscape. For more information about the group or the index, please contact Bruce Chan at email@example.com or (443) 224-1386.
About Transport Intelligence
Transport Intelligence (Ti) is one of the world’s leading providers of expert research and analysis dedicated to the global logistics industry. Utilising the expertise of professionals with many years of experience in the mail, express and logistics industry, Ti has developed a range of market leading web-based products, reports, profiles and services used by all the world’s leading logistics suppliers, consultancies and banks as well as many users of logistics services. www.transportintelligence.com
SOURCE: Submitted by Transport Intelligence